Model and Smart Corporation Schools in Chennai
The project, ‘Model and Smart Corporation Schools in Chennai,’ aims to pro-actively enhance the learning experiences of children in public schools. Even though the literacy rate in Chennai is 90.18 percent higher than the state average of 80.3 percent, the need for the project arises due to the declining learning levels. In general, there is a declining willingness among students to go to school. Despite high literacy in Tamil Nadu, learning levels fall behind pass percentage. Data from the Annual Status of Education Report (ASER) for the state of Tamil Nadu reveals that Chennai District ranked 20 out of 30 in Class 3 learning levels in the state schools by MHRD. Around 46 percent students in Chennai go to school without interest in learning and public education is characterised by outdated pedagogy, lack of state-of- art infrastructure and experiential learning.On the other hand there is a definite preference of private schools over public ones by the society.
The Model and Smart Corporation Schools Project envisages complete transformation of 10- 15 selected corporation schools, through interventions in the following areas:
- Physical Infrastructure
- Digital & Experience Infrastructure
- Teacher Training & Skill Up-gradation
- Extra-curricular Activities & Soft Skills
- Strengthening of Institutions & Stakeholders
- Collaboration with Industry, Academia & NGO’s
- Smart Pedagogy and Evaluation Methods.
The main objectives of the project include:
- Enhance the overall learning experience of students in corporation schools into a holistic, interesting, enriching and rewarding experience.
- Arrest the falling learning levels in public schools in the short run and increase learning levels across corporation schools in the long run.
- Provide experiential learning zones such as science innovation labs, experience labs and other such practical training zones in the selected project schools so as to boost the interest factor in learning for kids.
- Promote self and digital learning among students, by equipping them with modern learning infrastructure such as tablets, wi-fi enables classrooms etc.
- Create an analytics based student monitoring tool, to track and gauge student performance real time.
- Create an avenue for every student to follow their talents, natural abilities along with keeping them abreast of what the world offers.
- Creating a robust stakeholder (teachers, students, community) capacity building framework keeping in mind all their interests.
The proposed project envisages a revamp of corporation schools, especially to benefit children from low-income families.